Unless you live in a warmer state such as Florida, you've probably been experiencing winter weather for about a month or so. How has your home been holding up? Have you already had to make a few repairs? Go through our checklist and see how ready your home is for the rest of winter.
- How are your water pipes? Are they capable of holding up against the cold or are they on the brink of bursting?
- What about your windows? When was the last time you checked the seals? Do they need replacing?
- Have you winterized your yard yet? (Here are a few tips on how to do that.)
- Do you have a good set of snow equipment (shovel, snow blower, etc.) for your walkways and steps? Depending on where you live, this may not be necessary.
- Have you insulated your hot water heater? Some water heaters do not need to be insulated, so be sure to consult a professional before you go wrapping yours in insulation!
- When was the last time you gave your fireplace some TLC? If you have a gas fireplace, do you have a full gas tank? When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned everything?
- How's your roof holding up? Any leaks or patchy spots? Does it need replacing or repairing?
- When was the last time you cleaned your gutters? Are there any spots that need patching up?